It’s the D day again. I’m sweating. I’m nervous. Wait. Can we cancel this appointment? Pwede next week na lang? Or wag na lang kaya?
Wait. This is dental filling, why am I so scared? OK, let’s get it on.. WAIT!! I can’t seat on that chair. I am going to dieeeee
So that is me, from my last trip to the dentist. I do not know why, but I am still not comfortable going the dentist. To think, I have been going ALONE to the dentist since I was 10 (or even younger). The feeling is still the same, anticipating the pain.. is it really painful? Not that much naman di ba? Well, obviously, I was not raised with a strict dental care.. so I promised myself that I will be very vigilant with regards to my kids’ teeth. I don’t want them to feel the same fear I had when going to the dentist.
I FAILED! BIG TIME!
Turns out, I know nothing about dental care, except for the fact that you need to brush your teeth 3x a day.
So, I am saving you from the heartache of watching your son/ daughter suffer a toothache. I present to you:
10 Interesting Facts About Dental Care (And Some Tips On How To Take Care Of Your Teeth)
1. When to start DENTAL CARE? Proper dental care should begin even before the first tooth appears. How? Use a damp cloth to clean your baby’s gum. When the first tooth appears, use a smear of toothpaste and water until they are about 2 years, by that time, they already know how to spit. Use pea sized amount of toothpaste from 2- 5 years old.
2. Take care of the milk teeth. Milk teeth serve as permanent teeth guide. If milk teeth decays earlier than it should be, the permanent teeth will have a hard time finding its point of eruption. That’s the usual cause of Malocclusion of teeth (sungki).
3. Permanent tooth erupts as early as 6 years old. This is my BIGGEST failure. I was not informed!!
Save that image above (image source here) for your child’s safety.
See? First molar erupts as early as 6 years old. And we do not know that, so we end up with a son who’s first molar is so damaged, the dentist had to extract it.
4. Use toothpaste with Fluoride. Here’s the guide in choosing the right toothpaste for your kids:
5. How Fluoride works?
Using a toothpaste with fluoride, specially when teeth are growing, helps in prevention of cavities and tooth decay. The fluoride mixes with the enamel (hard covering of our teeth) making the teeth stronger. Fluoride also helps after teeth are formed, it works with our saliva in protecting the enamel.
6. Here’s something that will blow your mind: Tooth Decay is infectious (it is caused by Streptococcus mutans bacteria) and babies below 9 months old get the infection from their moms. Remember that time when our babies were small and we have to “blow” whatever hot food we feed them? What we do not know was through that blowing, the bacteria is transferred in their food and to their mouth. So just imagine if you share utensils and more so if it is the yaya!)
7. Chew a gum to prevent tooth decay. But not just ordinary gum, chew Lotte XYLITOL.
Lotte Xylitol is a sugar-free gum with over 50% xylitol as a sugar substitute. Xylitol is a 100% natural sweetener and reduces the growth of Streptococcus mutans bacteria. cavity- causing
How does Lotte Xylitol Dental Health Gum prevent tooth decay?
• It’s a sugar-free gum with over 50% xylitol as a sugar substitute
• Reduces cavity-causing bacteria that feed on sugar and create acids that dissolve tooth enamel resulting in tooth decay
• Promotes saliva flow to maintain healthy pH levels in the mouth to prevent demineralization of tooth enamel
• Removes particles of food that may be left behind which can cause tooth decay or bad breath
• Helps remove stubborn tartar on teeth surfaces through the chewing action of the gum
• Promotes remineralization or rebuilding of the teeth enamel thru the presence of calcium phosphates and by promoting saliva production
The Complete Dental Health Habit with Lotte Xylitol
• Eating a well-balanced diet
• Brushing at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
• Flossing after brushing
• Visiting the dentist regularly
• Chewing on Lotte Xylitol Dental Health Gum (2 pellets, 4 to 5 times daily)
Lotte Xylitol comes in 4 exciting flavors : Blueberry Mint, Fresh Mint, Lime Mint, Strawberry.
8. Did you know that 9 out of 10 children in the Philippines suffer from tooth decay? And as mentioned above, kids can also get it from their mommies. So mommies, to prevent the passing of tooth decay causing bacteria, take care of your mouth and teeth too, use Xylitol together with your kids.
Interesting facts are trivial!
9. Dr. Fina Lopez (from the Xylitol event I attended) told us that when brushing your teeth (Fluoride toothpaste of course), do not spit out the toothpaste so that fluoride will stay in your teeth. We already know how fluoride works right?
10. Still from the Xylitol event, Dr. Fina Lopez also mentioned that (she gave the lecture about dental health and how tooth decay is formed) cookies is more damaging to teeth than chocolates. WHAT???
Tooth decay is formed when cavity-causing bacteria that feed on sugar creates acids that dissolve tooth enamel. When you eat cookies, cookie crumbles are left in between your teeth. Cookies are sugar and tooth decay causing bacteria will feed on it! Of course, both chocolates and cookies can damage teeth if you let it stay on your teeth. So brush your teeth every time you eat sweets!