I started with Blogger as my my blogging platform.. and why not? it’s free and very easy to set up. As I my blogging career flourish (naks!) I switched to WordPress (I still maintain my old Blogger blog though)..and why not? It’s not free but it gives me control (one of my favorite word) and a lot more blogging opportunities.
Now, I have more than 10 blogs using WordPress as platform.. and I can say, I know WordPress now more than Blogger. If you don’t know what blogging platform to use, here’s a short comparison between WordPress and Blogger:
Blogger is a free blogging platform powered by Google.
- user friendly
- template set up is easy
- more secured in terms of hacking
- less control over your blog in terms of content, Google can wipe your blog and its content if they feel that your blog is spammy
- less advertisers because of disadvantage 1
How to start a blog with blogger?
- Sign up using your gmail account at Blogger
- Create your blog
- Start posting
WordPress is also a free blogging platform but in order to experience it fully you will need to avail of hosting service from hosting companies like Bluehost.
- more control on the content, you can literally do anything you want
- more plug ins to satisfy your blogging needs
- more advertisers
- more prone to hacking (so you have to be very careful.. always update and delete unused themes)
- set up is not that easy as it requires a few more steps than that of starting a blog from Blogger.
How to Start a blog with WordPress?
- Buy a hosting service
- Buy a domain, change setting to point the domain to your host
- Add domain to your hosting dashboard
- Install a WordPress on your hosting dashboard
- Start blogging
What would I recommend? I’d say go for Blogger first.. WordPress can be overwhelming.. not just on the techy side but on the finances as well. As you go along, you can buy your own domain and still use Blogger as your platform. Stay tuned next Tuesday, I will be posting a tutorial on how to set up your own domain with Blogger.